Monday 9 September 2013

Story 12: A potted version of Pedal for Scotland

I've been on a high today after the excitement of completing yesterday's Pedal for Scotland challenge ride. I've also been on an ice pack after sustaining a few wee minor injuries in the process! I could write a big, long story about how amazing the whole day was; how much I thoroughly enjoyed the whole ride, how fantastic it was that the sun was shining, how chuffed I felt when I managed the big hills, how lucky I was not to get a puncture, how unlucky I was to have my chain come off half way up one of those big hills, how brilliant the munch stops were (especially the home baking at Avonbridge - mmmm!), how great the camaraderie was amongst our 8000 fellow riders, how good my butt felt at the end (Hooray! I think I've mastered the padding and saddle combination! Definitely sticking with my big, comfy Miss Marple saddle!), how grateful I am for every donation to the STV Appeal I received, how nice it felt to have a medal put round my neck for a sporting event again (it's been a long time!), how knackered I am today, how gorgeous the scenery was, how funny the wee guy at the side of the road in Glasgow was when he mimicked the supporters who were offering jelly babies or cups of water by shouting 'Ur ye's waant'n a draw o' ma fag..?', how daft I felt when I fell off my bike, how much like a proper cyclist I felt when I heard someone in the pelaton behind me shout 'Man Down!' when I fell off my bike (one of my favourite moments of the day!), how excited I was when I turned the last corner in Edinburgh and saw Murrayfield Stadium in the distance, how close to a mixture of happy and sad tears I was when I held Alex's hand as we crossed the finish line (just like you see in the pictures in all the papers after this kind of event!) and thought about how proud my Dad would've been that I'd risen to a wee challenge to raise money in his memory, and how glorious the cold beer tasted after saying 'Cheers!' to Alex at the end of yet another awesome day's cycling.

Yup, I could write a big, long story. Or, I could just let this wee video clip do the talking while I go off to nurse my injuries and polish my medal...


No comments:

Post a Comment